My name is Lyndsie, and YES, I am a shopaholic!
It sound so dramatic, but it’s true. Living by the infamous quote by Carrie Bradshaw “I like my money where I can see it… hanging in my closet”,I am constantly spending my money on clothing items, in an attempt to keep up with the latest fashion trends.
Living the typical university student stereotype, I have minimal funds available, which is extremely upsetting when I need to buy the latest fashion piece that I definitely cannot afford. I therefore love a good bargain and am persistently on the hunt for more items of clothing for less money.
Most of the time I’m in denial, and I tell myself “You’ll wear it all the time, it’s fine, just buy it, its super cheap anyway”. But in reality I know that’s a lie. Because it’s cheap I won’t value it as much, and the chances of me wearing this item more than once is very slim. If it’s not actually needed, then it’s not a saving.
I’ve never actually analysed the origins of where my clothes were coming from, nor have I ever pondered who had personally made them. I began to read the tags on my clothes “Made In China”, “Made In Bangladesh”, Made In Turkey”, the list is extensive. This opened my eyes to the concept of FAST FASHION.
References for this assignment:
- Donato, J. (2018). Why Fast Fashion is Killing the Planet and Your Ethics. [online] Culture Trip. Available at: https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/articles/why-fast-fashion-is-killing-the-planet-and-your-ethics/
- Hogarth, B. (2015). 5 crazy facts from new fashion documentary ‘The True Cost’ | 1 Million Women. [online] 1millionwomen.com.au. Available at: https://www.1millionwomen.com.au/blog/5-crazy-facts-new-fashion-documentary-true-cost/
- theguardian.com. (2018). Child labour in the fashion supply chain. [online] Available at: https://labs.theguardian.com/unicef-child-labour/
- Michels, V. (2017). Crisis In Our Closets: The Environmental Impact of Fast Fashion. [online] Prospect Journal. Available at: https://prospectjournal.org/2017/05/24/crisis-in-our-closets-the-environmental-impact-of-fast-fashion/
- Tan, O. (2017). How Social Media Contributed to the Rise of Fast Fashion. [online] Adweek.com. Available at: https://www.adweek.com/digital/oliver-tan-visenze-guest-pot-fast-fashion/
- The True Cost. (2015). [film] Directed by A. Morgan. Michael Ross.
- The World Counts. (2018). The World Counts. [online] Available at: http://www.theworldcounts.com/counters/cotton_environmental_impacts/environmental_issues_with_cotton
- dictionary.com. (2018). the definition of unethical. [online] Available at: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/unethical [Accessed 1 Jun. 2018].